Orillia, Ontario – The naming of Weirs restaurant at Casino Rama, and the weirs on lots of their art and graphics, recognize fishing fences in the water nearby – that are OLDER THAN PYRAMIDS!
The location of the ancient fishing fences is now a National Historic Site, called “Mnjikaning.” In the Ojibway language this means “the place of the fish fence.” The site is south of the east end of the Atherley Narrows bridge.
From the historical plaque: “In the adjacent Narrows joining Lakes Simcoe and Couchiching are the remains of Indian fish weirs. They were noted by Samuel de Champlain when he passed here on September 1, 1605, with a Huron war party en route to attack the Iroquois south of Lake Ontario. The weirs consisted of large numbers of stakes driven into the bottom of the Narrows, with openings at which nets were placed to catch fish. These weirs (claies) caused Lake Simcoe to be named Lac aux Claies during the French regime. Their remains were noted by archaeologists as early as 1887, and their location was partially charted in 1955.”
678-700 Atherley Road, Orillia, Ontario Canada (Atherley Narrows)