Whitehorse – For more than 50 years the Yukon River served as the highway of this northern region, with riverboats being the main form of transportation for most people and freight. The S.S. Klondike was one of those ships plying river from Whitehorse to Dawson City. It made its last upriver journey in August 1955, and then went into dry dock downriver. In 1966 it was brought back to this river-front location Whitehorse. Moving the 1300-ton, 210-ft stern-wheeler took three weeks and the efforts of 12 men, three bulldozers and 8 tons of slightly-dampened Palmolive soap flakes (which apparently kept the local residents praying it would not rain.) It was actually moved through the streets of Whitehorse. Itʼs now a National Historic Site and has been resorted to its 1937-40 era by Parks Canada.
Whitehorse, pop 25,690 (2009), is the capital of the Yukon Territory, and a major stopping point on the Alaska Highway. It’s located 1471 km (724 miles) northwest of Dawson Creek, B.C. Be sure to also visit the MacBride Museum of Yukon History and the Yukon Beringia Interpretive Centre.
SS Klondike, Whitehorse Yukon Canada